BRUSSELS - Voicing concern about tax evasion that is estimated at one trillion euros, European Commission President Jose-Manuel Barroso said Tuesday that EU leaders will meet at a one-day summit on Wednesday to negotiate solution. The European Union can't afford to let tax evasion go on the way it is. Such large amounts of money, currently sitting in tax havens, would be greatly beneficial ...
FRANKFURT - Germany's central bank Deutsche Bundesbank expects the country's economy to improve "markedly" in the second quarter relying on signals of pick up in industrial orders and likelihood of weather related downturn in construction sector no longer impacting investment sentiments a development that could boost the wider eurozone as it struggles to get out of recession. "Overall ...
NEW YORK - Pharma major Pfizer has discontinued the development of cancer candidate inotuzumab ozogamicin, which is part of a class of therapies called antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), in the haematological cancer non-Hodgkin lymphoma after it failed to show benefit in overall survival during phase III trials. Pfizer has notified the study investigators and appropriate regulatory authorities ...
WASHINGTON - GrubHub Inc. and Seamless North America LLC, two of the biggest online services for food-delivery in the U.S., have entered into a definitive agreement to combine their companies to take on rivals in the growing market for online meal orders. The merger will create a combined company well positioned to drive more orders to restaurants, deliver a better experience for hungry ...
LONDON - The UK housing market seems to be picking up with gross mortgage lending up 4.3 per cent in April over previous month to 12.1 billion pounds, the highest in over four years, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML). The mortgage lending was 21% higher than April 2012, but this data is skewed by the end of the stamp duty concession on 24 March, 2012. Under the stamp duty ...
Winds: From the NNW at 5.1 MPH Gusting to 15.9 MPH
The Naked City [DVD]
Shot on 107 different locations around New York City, Jules Dassins The Naked City was a new kind of a crime thriller, one whose striking originality when it premiered in 1948 subsequently paved the way for every detailed police procedural that followed, from Dragnet to ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
WASHINGTON/ DUBLIN - Actavis Inc, the largest US generic drug maker by market value, is acquiring Dublin-based Warner Chilcott in a deal worth $8.5billion (5.6billion pounds) including $3billion net debt, to create the third-biggest specialty pharmaceutical company in the country. Under the deal, Actavis, which itself has been the subject of bid speculation, would be offering $5billion in ...
REDMOND, WASHINGTON Microsoft Corp gave the world the first look at its new game console on Tuesday, hoping the Xbox One will attract existing video game fans while also becoming a hub for living room entertainment. The third-generation Microsoft console, coming eight years after the Xbox 360, was unveiled by games unit chief Don Mattrick at an event at the software company's campus ...
MUMBAI - The UK based Standard Chartered (StanChart) Monday announced plans to acquire the Indian private wealth management business of US multinational financial services firm Morgan Stanley for an undisclosed amount as part of plans to expand operations. The acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals. "Standard Chartered India has agreed to acquire Morgan Stanley's onshore private ...
Microsoft introduced its next-generation console, the Xbox One, a living-room hub designed for more than video gaming.The unveiling came months after rival Sony first showed off its PlayStation 4, the latest update of that platform.However, while Microsoft actually showed off a physical player, Sony has yet to give the public a look at its new PS4 console.Both are set to go on sale this year, ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Thistle Charing Cross
I had stayed at this hotel once before, some years previous, so was looking forward to a new review. The ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
San Antonio PostSan Antonio Post – News on San Antonio | State & Global Reports
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of San Antonio news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The San Antonio Post is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of San Antonio.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a San Antonio weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the San Antonio Post is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Indo-China bilateral meet on healthcare sector held at Geneva
- Celebrity trainer Tracy Andersons diet plan finds big fan in J.Lo
- Anabolic-androgenic steroids linked to reduced future mental health
- Foldable electronics come closer to reality with inkjet-printed graphene
- More time in gym class lowers obesity risk in kids
- Nikkei up on BOJ optimism
- Asia Markets Japan stocks hold gains after central-bank meet
- NewsWatch U.S. stocks rise after Fed officials’ QE signal
- French and Benelux stocks-Factors to watch on May 22
- Korea Hot Stocks-Auto shares up on hopes of Hyundai weekend output
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- Mexican firm to acquire US wireless operator
- New evidence supports theory of cosmic impact 12800 years ago
- Backing Becks Dont Knock The Soccer Stars Talents
- Protect rights of women girls with disabilities
- Minnesota adoptees lack equal access to personal history
- Angelina Jolie and knowing our genetic risks
- Minnesota Legislatures 2013 legacy Why
- Iran Bars Candidacies of Rafsanjani Ahmadinejad Aide
- Coke Ad Hawks Pop Peace to India Pakistan
- British computer hackers behind bars - from the archive 22 May 1993
- Iran bars Rafsanjani Mashaei from election
- Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory Inc. to Host FY2013 Operating Results Conference Call on Thursday May 23 2013
- Enhanced contract payments for Australian cricket eves
- Simon Cowell to be flanked by 3 female judges in new X Factor season
- Afghan women getting jailed for moral crimes
- 72 pc women experience constipation bowel problems during pregnancy
- Do men behave better than women while traveling
- Tornado spanned length of 22 soccer fields
- Microsoft Unveils New Xbox One Game Console
- Oklahoma tornado kills 91 toll to rise
- Peter Andre hunting for two pads
- Palm Beach Gardens Man Sentenced for Committing Five Bank Robberies During 2012 Holiday Season www.privateofficer.com
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest San Antonio Post headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Toyota San Antonio Chamber Present STEM Project
- Texas approves bill to guide fund water projects
- Lawmakers agree on $50 million for ETF
- Pica Pica Plaza creating new event space in South San Antonio
- Army major found dead at Texas military base